Keith, Daniel, Keith, Charles and his son, The Nettles Family and I joined the TBC Missions Team at Finlay Park Wednesday evening to provide dinner and toiletry gift packs to Columbia's homeless community. For most of us this was truly stepping out of our comfort zone but each of us soon found a place that we were comfortable in helping. Some of us assisted in setting and cleaning up, serving food and handing out backpacks. We each attempted to offer a hopeful smile and a friendly handshake. Some of us enjoyed greeting, spending time chatting with and witnessing to those who came for a little help. No matter our role we each walked away feeling extremely Blessed.
What surprised me the most is the sense of "community" that these people have created amongst themselves. They each have different backgrounds and circumstances that have lead them to a life on the street but they all seemed to be familiar with one another. They greeted each other just like we do at church and were genuinely happy to see one another. I noticed that they looked out for one another as well. When talking with several of them others would pipe in to contribute to the conversation, interested in what their friend was saying to me and/or the comments that I was giving back to them. (You all know that I will talk to anyone that will listen - LOL!) Several of us prayed together and many more asked for prayers. Some didn't want to talk very much but not one of them seemed mean natured, bitter or hopeless to me. One gentleman was almost excited that I was, in his words, "on to him" when I told him that he might want to consider not drinking tomorrow and that prayer would help him through that. I feel like I just made a bunch of new friends, will pray for them daily and look forward for another opportunity to help them as God so leads. Even if I never see those people again, I will never forget their stories and even more so their faces. My life will personally never be the same.
I now encourage all of you to take a "Step out of your Comfort Zone" and do something out of the ordinary this week.
"There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land."
Deuteronomy 15:11
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment